Sunday, February 3, 2008

OH. MY. GOD.

I've been sort of beyond words for an hour now, but I want to get a few things down.

I can't believe this. And that's not a cliche - I actually had to ask my friends a few minutes after the game whether or not what I was seeing was real.

Everything from the Tyree catch onwards was pure hysteria. My dad, probably correctly, told me I'd see highlights of that in 20 years and tell my kids about seeing that.

I will remember seeing the ball fall into Burress' hands for the touchdown forever.

I spent the fourth quarter slugging wine because of how anxious I was. I thought it was over with the Moss TD. The part of me that had watched almost all of Eli's starts could feel the mistake coming. The throw to Samuel was almost that. But when he slipped free and found Tyree (a rhyme!) I think something may have changed. Either way, I'll always have a place in my heart for the guy. I've watched more football the last four years than at any other point in my life, and so my love and appreciation of football has grown with him. He was flawed, but flawed in an exciting way - he would always suck it up for three quarters but find Super Eli in the fourth, leading furious comebacks. Sometimes they won, sometimes they fell short. But he was exciting, even if we were never sure he'd be a winner.

Tonight, Eli produced the exciting five minutes I've ever had as a sports fan.

Eli to Tyree.

Eli to Burress.

17-14.

18-1.

ELI!

1 comment:

Jason Wojciechowski said...

The Giants are officially my second team.