Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Book Recommendation

A plug for the best book I've read so far on my winter break from law school - Todd Gallagher's brilliant tome, "Andy Roddick Beat Me With a Frying Pan." It's an exploration of the great questions in sports - would a fat goalie be dominant in hockey? Would a bunch of midgets be a great lineup in baseball, because it'd be impossible to throw strikes to them? How many tough men could Mike Tyson beat in a row? It's funny, but also quite well-researched (almost shockingly so).

As a bonus, the author is a good dude. I saw him speak at the Gelf's Varsity Letters night in December, and since he was hilarious, I bought the book and asked him to sign it. He was so happy to have someone buy the book (the publisher apparently has not been doing heavy publicity), that he a) signed the book, "Chris, you are better than the troops at Normandy for buying my book", and b) bought me and a couple of other attendees beers and chatted with us about sports for about an hour, answering all my questions about what Mike Tyson was really like (since he'd tried to put on a PPV event with Tyson fighting tough men). Plus, that chat ended up with me meeting Chuck Klosterman, so I owe the guy one.

Buy the book here.

No comments: