Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Cardigans - If There is a Chance

I love this song so much and it slipped into my head today. The Cardigans are horribly underrated in America, mostly because the song everyone knows them for (Lovefool - "love me, love me, say that you love me") isn't a particularly great example of their work, especially over their last few albums. If There is a Chance is a b-side from Long Gone Before Daylight, which is one of my all-time favorite records. It's a simple little ballad, but Nina's voice is just so incredibly haunting - breathy but powerful. I love the idea of the chorus - the song is guy leaves girl, girl very sad, but the chorus is about how if she could dance with him one more time, she'd keep playing records until... I dunno, the end of time or until he falls in love with her again. The image of a continuously spinning record, matched to the swirling quality of the song really makes the song - it's a song about slow dancing that I always kinda want to slow dance to.

If there is a chance, just one in this world,
That we'll ever dance, again as it turns
If there is a chance, if there is a way,
There's one record left, that you havn't heared.
And i'll keep it spinnin.


No comments: